If you keep tabs on celebrity baby news, it’s not uncommon to see an older man having babies with a younger woman. The reverse is not nearly as common. The common belief is that men have fertility potential regardless of age and experience infertility less than their female counterparts.
This belief does not hold true when looking at the statistics. According to RESOLVE, 30% of infertility is due to a male factor. And when you take age into account, fertility potential can shift again. Dr. Juan Alvarez has seen an influx of patients in recent years who are reaching out with symptoms of male menopause when they’re ready to pursue fatherhood.
To provide clarity on the modern changes around male infertility and aging, Dr. Alvarez tackles a long list of questions with the goal of increasing awareness and providing reassurance to couples looking to have a child.
Join Dr. Alvarez as he discusses aging and male fertility as well as rising trends around male menopause, testosterone supplementation, sperm count, and more. Learn about the latest research, trends that affect men of all ages, what a home test can and can’t tell you, and how different male infertility diagnoses are commonly treated.
Time to Talk Fertility: How Getting Older Impacts Fertility in Men episode discusses questions such as:
- Is there an age when men start to become less fertile?
- Do men ever stop producing sperm?
- What are the main factors of male fertility?
- What is considered a normal sperm count?
- How has sperm count changed in recent years?
- Can you tell us more about sperm morphology? (shape of sperm)
- What should we know about sperm motility? (movement of sperm)
- Of these factors, which is most common?
- If there is an issue with one factor, is it common for the others to be present too?
- Are morphology and motility impacted by age?
- What are endocrine disruptors and what do they do?
- What kinds of treatment options are required for sperm issues?
- What is male menopause?
- When do men usually experience menopause?
- Has this changed in recent years?
- How do men treat menopause?
- What should men know about testosterone supplementation and their fertility?
- How common is low sex drive or erectile dysfunction with fertility issues?
- Can health issues due to aging impact fertility?
- Are there prescription medications that can hurt male fertility?
- How does extra weight affect male fertility?
- What is the latest medical research around aging and male fertility?
- What can drug store sperm tests tell you?
- What are the differences between an at-home sperm test vs. a semen analysis from a fertility center?
- What is the rough cost of an at-home test compared to a lab evaluation?
- Can you share anecdotal examples of patients who have experienced these setbacks and went on to have success?
- Can you share some words of hope with our listeners?