Miscarriage is devastating, painful, and sadly, all too common. One in four women will experience a loss. Some women may even experience multiple pregnancy losses.
It is important to understand that a miscarriage is not your fault. While the cause of a miscarriage is not always known, there can be diagnosable (and treatable) medical reasons for a loss.
Join us as Dr. Elie Hobeika, a board certified reproductive endocrinologist, discusses everything you should know about recurrent pregnancy loss. From the latest medical research to causes, treatment options and inspiring stories of success, he will answer every question on this topic.
The Time to Talk Fertility: Recurrent Pregnancy Loss episode covers questions such as:
- How do you define a pregnancy loss?
- How does that definition change based on the progression of the pregnancy?
- What is the most common reason for a loss?
- What are other causes for miscarriage?
- Women often blame themselves. Is there anything they could have done?
- At what point does a loss or losses indicate a problem?
- At what point should a couple seek medical guidance?
- What are the first steps you take to uncover the issue?
- What kinds of tests do you recommend and what do they do?
- What kinds of treatment options do you recommend?
- How does genetic testing factor into everything?
- What does the latest medical research show about this issue?
- What can couples do to improve their chances of sustaining a pregnancy?
- How long do you recommend waiting before trying again?
- If a woman has had an abortion previously, will this impact her ability to carry a child?
- How does someone know if they are having a miscarriage?
- Is spotting a sign of miscarriage?
- Who might be at a higher risk of miscarriage?
- At what point in pregnancy is someone “safe” from a loss?
- Can you share stories of women who have overcome pregnancy loss to have a child?
- Can you tell us about the Pregnancy Loss Support Group at Fertility Centers of Illinois?
- Can you share some words of hope with our listeners?
The Time to Talk Fertility Podcast releases new episodes monthly and is available on Apple Podcasts, iHeartRadio, Stitcher, Tune In, Google Play and Spotify.
Ask the Doctor: 10 Questions About Miscarriage
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss: Achieving Success
How to Cope with Pregnancy Loss