September is PCOS Awareness Month and serves as a reminder of the common yet overlooked endocrine system disorder that affects women across the globe. Often undetected in young women not trying to conceive due to its elusive symptoms, a diagnosis of PCOS can significantly impact their lives.
To commemorate PCOS Awareness Month, Asima Ahmad, M.D., M.P.H. takes on your pressing questions, addressing crucial topics such as what PCOS is, how it affects fertility, and methods to alleviate symptoms.
- What is PCOS?
- You were diagnosed with PCOS. Can you share your experience living with PCOS and how it has influenced you as a physician?
- How common is PCOS?
- What are the symptoms of PCOS?
- How is PCOS diagnosed?
- How does PCOS affect fertility?
- Are women with PCOS more likely to need fertility treatment to get pregnant?
- What fertility treatment options are available to women with PCOS?
- Should women with PCOS see a fertility doctor before trying to conceive?
- Does PCOS affect more than just fertility?
- How does nutrition affect PCOS? Is there any ideal diet for those affected by PCOS?
- What are other ways to manage PCOS symptoms?
- What advice would you give to someone who thinks they might have PCOS?
- Is there anything you would like to add?